5 Ways to be More Environmentally Conscious in Your Everyday Life

Posted on June 15 2020

5 Ways to be More Environmentally Conscious in Your Everyday Life

When we joined the 1% for the Planet network of businesses, we chose to commit to giving 1% of gross sales of our EcoThread collection of blankets and throws to the Hitchcock Center for the Environment. Our dedication to making our community and world a healthier place begins by educating our employees and customers about some of the easiest ways to live more sustainable in everyday life. Here are our 5 simple ways to be more environmentally conscious in your everyday life.




1. TURN IT OFF YOUR COMPUTER


Computers use a great deal of energy, and when you log off for the day or leave the office, you should always completely shut down your computer and all your connected monitors. No need to worry about it affecting the life of your computer – many are designed to turn on and off thousands of times.


2. REUSE


Ditch the single-use K cups, plastic straws, makeup remover wipes, and one-use plastic baggies – all have affordable, reusable alternatives that take little effort to introduce into your everyday life. Check out this article by Elite Daily for 41 products like this available on Amazon. 


3. BUY LOCAL


When you buy local – farmers markets, small businesses, farm stands – you cut out all the emissions and energy consumption it takes for something to be transported from where it is made or grown to you or the store.



4. GROW YOUR OWN


Summer is the perfect time to start your own garden. Whether you have land to make a garden or you have a small apartment balcony or no balcony at all – you can still grow your own food! You can grow many things in planters or pots – from tomatoes to green beans! Don’t have a balcony either? Try a windowsill herb garden!


5. DONATE

When you’re done with that coffee table, or you have lost interest in all your band t-shirts from the 2000s, rather than tossing them into the garbage, donate them to a local organization that sells second-hand items. Many nonprofits operate thrift stores to help support their mission – check your local area to see who is accepting donations; some may even come to pick items up from your home.



The most important thing to remember as you work towards living a more environmentally-friendly way is to start with 1%. When you begin by being 1% better, the other 99% will come much easier.



August 2019 marked the launch of our newest fabric – EcoThread and kicked off our membership as a business partner in the 1% for the Planet community. You can find items from our EcoThread Collection on our website and at a select number of our retail partner locations.

SHOP ECOTHREAD




1% for the Planet is a global movement inspiring businesses and individuals to support environmental solutions through annual membership and everyday actions. They advise on giving strategies, we certify donations, and we amplify the impact of our network.

LEARN MORE ABOUT 1% FOR THE PLANET

Recent Posts